RE: st: problem with ineqdeco & remote access

From   <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: problem with ineqdeco & remote access
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2012 21:42:03 +0100

Thanks to Nick Cox for his response.  You should do the checking he

I have another guess concerning your problem. A few months ago there was
a problem in Stata 12, inadvertently introduced, and some users reported
problems with the by() option to -ineqdeco- as a result of this problem.
The bug was quickly fixed by StataCorp in an update of 20jun2012, and
the problems with -ineqdeco- arise no longer. On this bug fix, see -help
     2.  egen, when the argument to fcn() was an expression of a
variable subtracted or multiplied
         by another variable, mistakenly unabbreviated the argument as
if it were a variable list.
         This has been fixed.
However, this is only a guess.  Whatever, I would check that the Stata
12 that you use is fully updated. (Type -update query-) The current
update level is 01 Oct 2012.

Finally, see if you can reproduce your problem with a publicly available
Stata data set. E.g.

	sysuse auto
	ineqdeco price, by(foreign)

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins  <>
Department of Social Policy
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, U.K.
Tel. +44 (0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
Survival Analysis using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software: