Re: st: problem with ineqdeco & remote access

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem with ineqdeco & remote access
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:19:23 +0100

-ineqdeco- was written by Stephen Jenkins, who is a member of this
list. Before he chimes in, there are some things you can do.

By the way, my guess is that the version of Stata being used, 9 or 12,
is no consequence here. It's all about which version of -ineqdeco- you
have.

1. If you look at the latest version on -ssc- you can see that the
code has embedded comments, which start

*! 2.0.2 SPJ May 2008 (fix bug arising if bygroup() and `touse' lead
to no obs in a group)
*!   bug fix method provided by Austin Nichols (many thanks!)

I'll bet this is pertinent to your problem, i.e. you need 2.0.2 but
have not got it.

What you can do is type

. which ineqdeco

and see whether you get a report that starts as above, or -which-
signals an earlier version.

2. Check thoroughly to see whether there are multiple versions of
-ineqdeco- in different places on your system. For example, if you are
on Windows, use the Command Prompt (or equivalent) to search for
ineqdeco.ado on your drive with Stata.

3. Even if -ineqdeco- has been updated successfully from SSC, there is
evidently still a problem, so 2. above should be reported in
conjunction with the results of typing -adopath-. It could be that you
are seeing an old version of -ineqdeco-, which trumps a newer version
becase of your -adopath-.

4. As you brush your teeth, each time say "Stata, not STATA".
(Question is well stated otherwise!)

Nick