FW: st: ANOVA for quartiles

From   Vasan Kandaswamy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   FW: st: ANOVA for quartiles
Date   Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:12:58 +0000

Thank you Jay,

I tried the two way model, but it appears that I get a overall P value, but do not get a p value individually for male and female (anova myoutcomevar gender bmi_quartiles). Could you please suggest how I could obtain the p values for each gender.
Bet regards,

From: [] on behalf of JVerkuilen (Gmail) []
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: st: ANOVA for quartiles

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Vasan Kandaswamy <>wrote:

> Dear Statalisters,
> I intend to perform an ANOVA to compare the means of a variables across
> quartiles of BMI ( body mass index) in two genders (male and female ).

Why not a two-way model?

          anova myoutcomevar gender##bmi_quartiles

Or the equivalent sequence of regression models if the groups are not
of equal size.

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I'll
meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full
to talk about." ---Rumi