st: derive exact p values from ANOVA models

From   Vasan Kandaswamy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: derive exact p values from ANOVA models
Date   Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:03:23 +0000

Dear Jay,

Thank you very much. I have now used the two way anova for comparison. Since the groups are equal sizes, regression model is not thought of at the moment.

I have another quick question, is there a way that I could obtain the exact p values from anova.
I do not want to show p=<0.0001 for all variables, but would like to be more specific.
While I do regression models, I use beta and SE to derive exact p values this way -
di (2*normal(-abs(beta/se))). but this is not possible with ANOVA.

Could someone suggest how to get exact p values from ANOVA ?
Many thanks !

PhD student,
Karolinksa Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden

From: [] on behalf of JVerkuilen (Gmail) []
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: st: ANOVA for quartiles

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Vasan Kandaswamy <>wrote:

> Dear Statalisters,
> I intend to perform an ANOVA to compare the means of a variables across
> quartiles of BMI ( body mass index) in two genders (male and female ).

Why not a two-way model?

          anova myoutcomevar gender##bmi_quartiles

Or the equivalent sequence of regression models if the groups are not
of equal size.

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I'll
meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full
to talk about." ---Rumi