st: ANOVA for quartiles

From   Vasan Kandaswamy <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ANOVA for quartiles
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:08:17 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

I intend to perform an ANOVA to compare the means of a variables across quartiles of BMI ( body mass index) in two genders (male and female ).

Example: Male    Female
BMI Q1 :  5.2        5.1
BMI Q2 :  5.6        5.4
BMI Q3 :  6.3        6.8
BMI Q3 :  7.7        7.9
I want to compare these values across the quartiles using ANOVA, and look for significance in both genders separately.

bysort bmi_quartiles gender : oneway bmi

There seems to be something wrong in this script. I am quite naive to STATA and not sure as to how to go about with this.
Advice of any sort will be very helpful.

Best regards,
Vasan
PhD student
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden