Re: st: create pretty charts

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: create pretty charts
Date   Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:27:07 +0100

That's a good exercise for students, to say what is wrong with those
displays. I refer to
<http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/gallery/product-survey-analysis>

1. State identifiers running alphabetically from CA to WA; that's helpful.

2. Heavy use of red and green for contrasts: haven't Tableau heard
that distinguishing red from green is a common  difficulty among
sighted people?

3. The projections into the future of interest levels seem to be based
on fitting quadratics. Interest levels going negative will presumably
underline emphatically what is dropping off sales-wise. Discuss.

4. The moving averages seem unsuited to the data, or vice versa.

Still, I must try to be constructive and positive. No doubt Tableau
nowhere insists on those choices.

I (and other user-programmers interested in graphics) would really
like to be told about new good kinds of graphs that I can program in
Stata (and make the code available).

Otherwise, if there is a wishlist I suspect only StataCorp can deliver.

I guess that Maarten has put his finger on a major point. Graphs that
you can interact with are clearly of interest and -- if they were in
Stata -- many of us would be as happy as a three-year-old to play at
producing and to play with them. But when the play is done, it seems
that almost all researchers using Stata want mostly static graphs for
their theses, dissertations, reports, papers, books and presentations.
A dozen programmer-years developing in the direction of interactive
graphics (wild guess) is a dozen programmer-years not developing new
models, and model-handling facilities, which is what people directly
and indirectly ask for on Statalist week in, week out.

Nick