Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:55:56 +0200

I'm sure that I don't know all the reasons why we should not take means
over values from an ordinal scale, but _one_ reason is that conclusions
taken from the mean are not robust against allowed transformations of
the values.

Generally, all transformations that preserve the numerical order of the
scale are allowed for an ordinal scale. Thus we can transform the
values

1,  2,  3,  4,  5

of an ordinal scale to

0, 11, 13, 19, 42

because this would not change at all the order of the scale.

Now, consider two students, A and B, with grades

A: 1, 1, 1, 1, 5
B: 2, 2, 2, 2, 1

where 1 means "excellent" and 5 means "very bad". If we calculate the
students' averages we obtain 1.8 for both of them. Our substantial
conclusion from the comparison of means would therefore be that both
students are equal.

Now, let us do the "allowed" transformation proposed above:

A:  1,  1,  1,  1, 42
B: 11, 11, 11, 11,  0

In this case we obtain an average of 9.2 for student A and 8.8 for
student B. Hence, this time our substantial conclusion would be that "B
is better than A".

Clearly we should not use a statistic that tells us different truths for
arbitrary "allowed" transformations of scales. For the ordinal scale the
median is better suited because conclusions from the median do not
change for allowed transformations of values of an ordinal scale (in the
example, student A would be better than B in either case).

So far for the theory. However, in practice we might concede that we
have measured something on an ordinal scale, but we sort of _aggree_
that we will never do any transformations of the values. In this case
the theoretical discussion above does not really matter. Theoretically,
we might get different results with some transformation but as we never
transform in practice, it will just not happen. Basically we would get
some sort of a "conventional" absolute scale, then. It would make quite
some sense to to use means for such scales.

The question then is whether the 5-point-scale used in the original
question can be seen as kind of a conventional absolute scale. I tend to
say that this is the case, but I would like to leave that up to the
questioner himself.

Uli