RE: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   "David Radwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:32:31 -0700 (PDT)

Rob,

It may be the case that not labeling the middle points of a scale, as in
your first example, justifies the assumption of equal spacing (deltas).
But the literature suggests that verbally labeling all points on a scale,
as in your second example, leads to more reliable measurement. See, for
example:

Alwin DF, Krosnick JA. 1991. The reliability of survey attitude
measurement: The influence of question and respondent attributes. Sociol.
Methods Res. 20:139-81.
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/68969/2/10.1177_0049124191
020001005.pdf

David