RE: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   "David Radwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Nick that "don't use means for ordinal data" is a purist
stance, even if it is more honored in the breach than the observance.

I also agree that collapsing Likert scales as described below is throwing
away information. But I don't think it is arbitrary to consider "agree"
and "strongly agree" to be one category and "disagree" and "strongly
disagree" to be the other category.

There is a separate question of why one would measure agreement on a 5
point (or 7 point or 101 point or whatever) scale only to later collapse
it to yes/no, but analysts don't always have the ability to design the
survey themselves.

David
--
David Radwin