Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   Rob Ploutz-Snyder <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:12:45 -0500

My 2 cents...when designing these sorts of instruments...

I was trained that a true likert scale doesn't label each of the
points in the 5-point (or other) scale, but instead has only TWO
labels at each extreme.  For example:

I like Statalist..............      Completely Disagree   1  2  3  4
5    Completely Agree

This is in CONTRAST to a scale that would label each and every point
(sometimes called "likert-type" or "modified-likert") for example:

1=completely disagree
2=disagree
3=neutral
4=agree
5=completely agree

With true likert scales, while still not continuous in scale, the
distance between each category in a true likert scale is not
subjective.  The delta between "1" and "2" is the same as the delta
between "2" and "3" etc.  and it is assumed that survey respondents
can appreciate this.  The same cannot be assumed about the difference
between "completely disagree" and "disagree" being equal to the delta
between "disagree" and "neutral."

So in that way, a  true-likert scale removes some of the subjectivity
on the deltas and seems to achieve a more proper ordinal scale as
opposed to purely categorical.

Still doesn't justify using parametric statistical techniques...
However, most well-vetted Sociology or Psychological instruments are
designed to use multiple questions that, together, are used to measure
a particular construct.  Social scientists don't usually intend to
compare responses on single questions, but instead ask many questions
that cluster together, often verified by exploratory or confirmatory
factor analysis, where "factor scores" are then created to capture the
overall construct of interest.  These factor scores can be derived by
different methods, the simplest being a mean of the items that cluster
together, but usually by more sophisticated regression-based methods
that weigh each item according to how well it correlates with the
overall factor structure.  These factor scores are continuously
scaled, unlike the individual items that were used to derive them, and
it is these factor scores that are often analyzed by various
parametric statistical techniques.

Whether or not the factor scores  are normally distributed in the
population (the real question) is dependent on the particulars of each
research study, but I don't categorically deny that the assumption is
invalid.