Re: st: Stata graphs in word count

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata graphs in word count
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:19:27 +0100

I guess John's question is not clear to everybody because it may hinge
on quirks of the British academic system.

Advice on this list is to remember that it is an international list,
so that questions should not assume familiarity with parochial
details.

In British universities, if a student submits a thesis or
dissertation, then typically there is a maximum number of words
allowed, and so students are required to state how many words are
included in their submitted work. If so, my own answer is that the
number of words in a document is here in practice what MS Word says it
is. But John really should be checking with his own institution about
quite what is expected here. I don't know any meaningful translation
between graph content and word count. The old adage that a picture is
worth a thousand words doesn't help here! As an examiner I always
ignore this kind of issue as futile.

Nick

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Pablo Bonilla
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Stata works very well with Latex, but given that you are using word, my advice is export your data to Excel, make the graphs there and paste them in Word. A lot of people might not agree with me but I don't see any other way for working in Stata and Word together besides copy and paste graphs.

John Guzek