st: RE: RE: RE: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?

Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:11:02 +0100

Lisa,

Sorry, but not true.  xtivreg and xtivreg2 (which we were discussing, not xtreg, though the point applies to it as well as to another estimation command, areg) with the FE or RE options can estimate panel data models stricto sensu, which is what you are describing.  But they can ALSO estimate models fixed and random effects models in which there is no time dimension.

Your model is a static model, i.e., in

> > > Our model is: xtivreg depper (bmi = momobes)

all 3 variables have the same date.  Static models are what these commands are typically used to estimate.  You can think of an observation as a random draw on a panel unit.  In your dataset, the draws are on the same unit (I'm guessing individual persons) but separated over time.  The fixed or random effects capture the time-invariant characteristics of the panel units.

But the same static model, and the same estimation commands, could be applied to a dataset in which the draws are separated over, say, space or some other dimensions.  For example, the panel units could be US states and the draws are of US counties from those states.  Or the panel units could be households and the draws could be of individual household members.  Or the panel units could be classrooms and the draws could be of individual students.  Etc.

Thus you will get exactly the same fixed effects estimation results whether you use xtivreg,fe (or xtivreg2,fe) or an IV estimator with explicit dummies for the fixed effects.

The first-differences estimator is the exception to the irrelevance of exactly what the second dimension is.  In this case you need to know the dates of observations in order to calculate the FDs.  This is why the xtivreg help file says that only the panel variable is needed for the FE and RE estimators, but the time variables is also required for the FD estimator:

    "A panel variable must be specified. For xtivreg, fd, a time variable must also be specified.
      Use xtset."

--Mark