Re: st: RE: RE: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:00:42 +0100

I think you are saying the same thing as Mark in different words, so
there is no reason to regard your positions as disagreeing. Otherwise
put, to bolster your claim of disagreement you have to show in what
sense the Stata commands you mention are paying regard to the time
variable and the answer is that they don't.

Whether your model is a good one for your data is a different question.

I don't think anyone can pull an alternative specification out of the
air for you because that requires a scientific or substantive
understanding of your data and project aims, which we don't have.

Nick

 From: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>

> Your data have a time dimension, but the model apparently doesn't:
>
>> > Our model is: xtivreg depper (bmi = momobes)
>
> So irregular spacing over time is a non-issue - there's nothing you need to do.  Just estimate as is.

"Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>

>> The model you specify below,
>>
>> > Our model is: xtivreg depper (bmi = momobes)
>>
>> has no apparent time dimension, i.e., it seems to be a static model.  If so, the
>> spacing between consecutive periods is irrelevant and you don't need to do
>> anything.

 Lisa Marie Yarnell