st: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?

From   Lisa Marie Yarnell <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Statalisters,

Does xtreg (or really, what we are using, xtivreg--the extension of xtreg that allows for an instrument) asusme equally-spaced time points in the panel model?

We have four waves of data.
Wave I and Wave II are 1.5 years apart.
Wave II and Wave III are 5.5 years apart.
Wave III and Wave IV are 6 years apart.

Is it wrong to put data from these time points into the xtivreg model? Is there a way to adjust the model for unequally spaced time points?

Our model is: xtivreg depper (bmi = momobes)

How can we alter the model to account for the unequal spacing?

Thanks,
Lisa