Re: st: copying a string variable to all rows within a group

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: copying a string variable to all rows within a group
Date   Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:01:01 +0000

For "row" read "observation". We know what you mean, but that is the
correct Stata terminology.

bysort groupvar (oldvar) : replace oldvar = oldvar[_N]

Alternatively,

bysort groupvar : replace oldvar = oldvar[1]

will probably work too. Alternatively,

bysort groupvar : replace oldvar = oldvar[_n-1] if missing(oldvar) & _n > 1

will probably work too. This last is an FAQ

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replacing missing values
        2/03    How can I replace missing values with previous or
                following nonmissing values?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/missing.html

,