st: Composite measures

From   Alessandro Freire <>
Subject   st: Composite measures
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:25:40 -0200

Hi  all,

I want to create a composite measure by using the mean of two
variables regarding interest in politics, but their scales are
different. One of them is scaled from 0 to 10, the other goes from 1
to 5. What should I do so that their weights are equally distributed
in the new variable?

The other composite measure I would like to create is made of two
identical measures of income. The only difference between them is that
they correspond to answers collected in different stages of a survey.
That is, some respondents answered to the question on the pre-election
wave while others responded it on the post-election wave.

Thanks in advance.

Alessandro Freire