st: Reading NetCDF files

From   Gordon Hughes <G.A.Hughes@ed.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Reading NetCDF files
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:42:28 +0000

Dear Statalist,

Is anyone aware of a Stata user-written routine or other method of importing data stored in NetCDF files into Stata?

As background, NetCDF denotes the Network Common Data Form, a binary file format which is widely used for climate data and other data compiled by geophysicists, earth scientists, etc.

There are libraries written in C, Fortran & Java which can be used to read NetCDF files but I was trying to avoid the need to special purpose routines to extract the data. In addition, I believe that there are R modules which can read NetCDF files, but this means a struggle to remember the details of R data structures.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Gordon Hughes
g.a.hughes@ed.ac.uk