Re: st: Composite measures

Subject   Re: st: Composite measures
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:53:44 +0100

The key question is whether you believe that there is some latent
concept (interest in politics) that influences the answers on those
two questions or whether you believe that the things asked in those
two questions add up / influence the latent concept. In the former
case you can use techniques like factor analysis (see: -help factor-)
to create the composite and in the latter case you use sheaf
coefficients to create the composite (see -ssc desc sheafcoef- and
<http://www.maartenbuis.nl/wp/prop.html>.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Alessandro Freire wrote:
> I want to create a composite measure by using the mean of two
> variables regarding interest in politics, but their scales are
> different. One of them is scaled from 0 to 10, the other goes from 1
> to 5. What should I do so that their weights are equally distributed
> in the new variable?

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen