Re: st: nbreg with fixed effect vs xtnbreg,fe

From   Shikha Sinha <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: nbreg with fixed effect vs xtnbreg,fe
Date   Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:47:06 -0800

Another response from Statacorp;

Dear Shikha,

I just wanted to add to my previous response.  In the typical panel data
setting, you would generally want to use the conditional fixed effects model.
However, because you mention that you have cross sectional data, I cannot say
with certainty which model in best in your particular case.

Let me be a bit more specific about the incidental parameters problem.
Essentially, the argument is that in the typical panel data model, the number
of time periods per panel is assumed to be fixed.  To get asymptotic results,
we assume the sample size goes to infinity, and since T is fixed, that means
the number of panels is increasing.  As we increase the number of panels, we
increase the number of fixed effect parameters.  Hence, the number of
parameters in the model is growing with the sample size, so it is impossible
to get consistent estimates.  Moreover, because the model is nonlinear, the
estimated betas depend on the estimated fixed-effect parameters.  Since the
latter are inconsistent, so to are the betas.

If you are not working with panel data, you would need to decide whether a
similar problem arises in your case with the unconditional fixed effects
estimator.

Kristin
StataCorp