Re: st: insheet limit in string

From   Matthew White <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: insheet limit in string
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:08:30 -0500

Hi Mike,

With -filefilter-, you probably want to change "; [" to the delimiter.
For example, if mydata.csv is comma-delimited, you should change "; ["
to `"",""' (since you're working with strings). Let's say mydata.csv
looks like this:
***BEGIN .CSV***
author,school
"Novicevic, MM; Humphreys, JH; Buckley, MR; Cagle, C; Roberts,
F","[Buckley, MR] Univ Oklahoma, Michael F Price Coll Business,
Norman, OK 73019 USA; [Novicevic, MM; Roberts, F] Univ Mississippi,
Sch Business Adm, University, MS 38677 USA; [Humphreys, JH] Texas A&M
Univ, Commerce, TX 75429 USA; [Cagle, C] Univ Mississippi, Sch
Accountancy, University, MS 38677 USA"
***END***

Then in Stata:
filefilter mydata.csv mydata_split.csv, from("; [") to(`"",""') replace
insheet using mydata_split.csv, comma names clear

Does that work? Also, if you're working with many files, think about
using the -:dir- extended macro function: -help extended_fcn-.

Best,
Matt