st: insheet limit in string

From   "Mike Kim" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: insheet limit in string
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:05:58 -0600

Hi all,

I am using Stata IC v.11 and trying to import data using:
insheet using mydata.csv, clear

However, due to 244 string limit, I cannot correctly import the following
example. I cannot use delimit(;) option because it changes the data
structure I intended. If I can split school variable using delimit("; ["),
it will work, but Stata does not allow this. Is there any way I can import
more than 244 string? Can Stata 12 handle large string variables? Thank you
in advance.

input str244 author str244 school
"Novicevic, MM; Humphreys, JH; Buckley, MR; Cagle, C; Roberts, F"
"[Buckley, MR] Univ Oklahoma, Michael F Price Coll Business, Norman, OK
73019 USA; [Novicevic, MM; Roberts, F] Univ Mississippi, Sch Business Adm,
University, MS 38677 USA; [Humphreys, JH] Texas A&M Univ, Commerce, TX 75429
USA; [Cagle, C] Univ Mississippi, Sch Accountancy, University, MS 38677 USA"