Re: st: insheet limit in string

From   Matthew White <>
Subject   Re: st: insheet limit in string
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 17:21:46 -0500

Hi Mike,

There was a discussion about a similar problem not too long ago.
Google "String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters"
and see if that helps.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Mike Kim <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am using Stata IC v.11 and trying to import data using:
> insheet using mydata.csv, clear
> However, due to 244 string limit, I cannot correctly import the following
> example. I cannot use delimit(;) option because it changes the data
> structure I intended. If I can split school variable using delimit("; ["),
> it will work, but Stata does not allow this. Is there any way I can import
> more than 244 string? Can Stata 12 handle large string variables? Thank you
> in advance.
> Mike.
> clear
> input str244 author str244 school
> "Novicevic, MM; Humphreys, JH; Buckley, MR; Cagle, C; Roberts, F"
> "[Buckley, MR] Univ Oklahoma, Michael F Price Coll Business, Norman, OK
> 73019 USA; [Novicevic, MM; Roberts, F] Univ Mississippi, Sch Business Adm,
> University, MS 38677 USA; [Humphreys, JH] Texas A&M Univ, Commerce, TX 75429
> USA; [Cagle, C] Univ Mississippi, Sch Accountancy, University, MS 38677 USA"
> end
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Matthew White
Data Coordinator
Innovations for Poverty Action
101 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510 USA
+1 434-305-9861