RE: st: insheet limit in string

From   "Mike Kim" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: insheet limit in string
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 17:30:52 -0600

Hi Matt,

Yes, I tried filefilter, etc. but it didn't work. For example, I changed ";
[" into "^" or "???"and used insheet. The result is completely mess (with ^)
or error (with ???). Does delimiter option in insheet work only with one
variable? If data has several variable, the imported data becomes total mess
with delimiter option. Then, maybe the only option is to save my school
variable as a separate file and import using delimit option and merge again?
I have 40 of these files to import, but it is doable. The only question
is... why does Stata create this pain?
Mike.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Matthew White
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:22 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: insheet limit in string

Hi Mike,

There was a discussion about a similar problem not too long ago.
Google "String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters"
and see if that helps.

Best,
Matt

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Mike Kim <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Stata IC v.11 and trying to import data using:
> insheet using mydata.csv, clear
>
> However, due to 244 string limit, I cannot correctly import the following
> example. I cannot use delimit(;) option because it changes the data
> structure I intended. If I can split school variable using delimit("; ["),
> it will work, but Stata does not allow this. Is there any way I can import
> more than 244 string? Can Stata 12 handle large string variables? Thank
you
> in advance.
> Mike.
>
> clear
> input str244 author str244 school
> "Novicevic, MM; Humphreys, JH; Buckley, MR; Cagle, C; Roberts, F"
> "[Buckley, MR] Univ Oklahoma, Michael F Price Coll Business, Norman, OK
> 73019 USA; [Novicevic, MM; Roberts, F] Univ Mississippi, Sch Business Adm,
> University, MS 38677 USA; [Humphreys, JH] Texas A&M Univ, Commerce, TX
75429
> USA; [Cagle, C] Univ Mississippi, Sch Accountancy, University, MS 38677
USA"
> end
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Matthew White
Data Coordinator
Innovations for Poverty Action
101 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510 USA
+1 434-305-9861
www.poverty-action.org