Re: st: how to fill some gross wage missings if I have the net wage

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: how to fill some gross wage missings if I have the net wage
Date   Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:00:55 -0500

Laura R. <>:
More institutional detail is required for a good answer--net of what?
Taxes (federal/state/payroll--employee and employer), tax-deferred or
tax-exempt contributions (health insurance premiums? pension
contributions? including employer components?), union dues, other
deductions, etc.? That said, you can validate a regression model for
imputation by first restricting your attention to the 30% and
artificially making half (or more) missing, then imputing those "fake
missings" using official -mi- or -ice- on SSC, and checking your
results against the unaltered data.  Once you're comfortable with your
model, take it back to the full dataset.  I would start with a linear
spline in gross wage, i.e. categories and linear terms; see also -help
mkspline-.  Also read: