st: R: how to fill some gross wage missings if I have the net wage

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <carlo.lazzaro@tin.it>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: R: how to fill some gross wage missings if I have the net wage
Date   Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:35:41 +0100

Laura's proposal would seem reasonable, provided (in my opinion, at least),
that:

-all the subjects in your dataset are subjected to the same tax laws (often,
in my experience, it is not so);
- those who did not reported their gross wage did so for any reason
unrelated to unobserved viariable (ie, because they are moonlighters,
ugger-muggers or for any other reason that makes them violating tax laws).

Kind Regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Per conto di Laura R.
Inviato: mercoledì 15 dicembre 2010 16.11
A: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Oggetto: st: how to fill some gross wage missings if I have the net wage

Dear all,

for some reason, I would like to use the gross wage for my estimations.
However,

- only 30% of respondents have given both net and gross wage, while
- 70% of respondents have only given their net wage.

These data are all from the same country and therefore underlying the
same tax laws. So on the basis those who gave both gross and net wage
and with the help of the net wage of those where the gross wage is
missing, can I impute the missing gross wages? If so, how could I
implement this in Stata?

It would be great if someone could give me a hint on literature about that.

Best Regards
Laura