Re: st: Correct Procedure to download and Install user-written commands (WAS: Catplot and labsize of categorical labels)

Subject   Re: st: Correct Procedure to download and Install user-written commands (WAS: Catplot and labsize of categorical labels)
Date   Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:49:59 -0500

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Thomas Speidel <thomas@tmbx.com> wrote:
> I realized I was using an old version of catplot, hence I believe this is
> why a call for the var1opts returned an error.  I tried to update it
> manually, but I'm afraid I ended up with two versions:
>
> . which catplot
> c:\ado\plus\c\catplot.ado
> *! 2.0.0 NJC 28 May 2010
> *! 1.1.2 NJC 11 February 2004

That's just a part of the long history of development:

. type http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/c/catplot.ado
*! 2.0.0 NJC 28 May 2010
*! 1.1.2 NJC 11 February 2004
* 1.1.1 NJC 2 February 2004
* 1.1.0 NJC 8 January 2004
* 1.0.1 NJC 29 April 2003
* 1.0.0 NJC 18 February 2003
<output omitted>

-which- will show you the command Stata will use, the first found
along the paths in your -sysdir-. But the programmers can make -which-
provide you with more information with the *! combination. The
tradition is to have all the author and version info on the first
line, but Nick Cox decided to step away from that tradition and give
more lines with the previous versions. If you want a more freaky
output from -which-, you can even put an ASCII picture there with
those prefixes (oh those romantic days of 2400 bod communication :)).