st: simply start over and build something better

Subject   st: simply start over and build something better
Date   Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:06:43 -0500

Came randomly across a blog entry on R:
http://xianblog.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/simply-start-over-and-build-something-better/

I wonder if Stata Corp. starts over and builds something better from
time to time. The two major rearrangements of the code that I am aware
of are the move towards Mata overt the last five or so years, and code
multi-threading for MP flavors. Stata does not seem to suffer from the
problems discussed in the above blog entry: the scope of everything is
well defined in both Stata and Mata, and Mata calls by reference
rather than by value (while Stata only deals with the data in memory
plus a small assortment of locals... at least insofar you don't touch
classes).