Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?

From   "John F Hall" <johnfhall@orange.fr>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:17:23 +0200

Fascinating thread, but do the data actually warrant such sophistication?

I'd like to know much more about the data, even more about the research question. What is being evaluated by the "likely" scale? Propensity of teenage readers of a magzine to buy a beauty product, people stopped in a shopping mall to purchase a health insurance scheme or unemployed people's perceived likelihood of finding a job?

How many predictor variables are being used and what are they? How many cases are there: 10 or 1,000? Is it a probability sample or a "sugging" exercise?

As John Tukey once said, "All the statistics in the world won't save you if you asked the wrong question in the first place." (Does anyone have a reference for that? I saw it in the front of a (?statistics textbook/software manual?) book once.

John Hall
johnfhall@orange.fr
http://surveyresearch.weebly.com

"Sugging" - selling under the guise.