st: Nominal or ordinal?

From   "Polis, Chelsea B." <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Nominal or ordinal?
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:59:35 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I am working with a dependent variable that has the following four potential responses: (1) Not Likely, (2) Slightly Likely,
(3) Quite Likely, (4) Extremely Likely.

A colleague thinks this is an ordinal variable which should be analyzed using ordered logit regression.  My sense was that
this is a nominal variable, and should be analyzed using multinomial regression - since we cannot know if the levels are
equally spaced in people's minds.

My apologies for what is probably a very simplistic question, but I've searched Statalist and online, and I still am not
entirely certain.  I would greatly appreciate input on this question.