Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <Michael.Norman.Mitchell@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Nominal or ordinal?
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:26:39 -0700

Dear Dave (and all others)

I know I am personally rather trusting of treating such scales as interval data... do you or any others have suggestions on references justifying the treatment of scales like this as interval?

Many thanks,

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-08-12 1.29 PM, David Bell wrote:
--
Chelsea,

Most of the world is willing to treat scales like this as interval data.  Sure it isn't "exactly" interval.  Be sure to consider whether your audience will be familiar with interpretations of ordinal logit regressions.

Dave
David C. Bell
Professor of Sociology
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
(317) 278-1336