Re: st: Cox proportional hazard model

Subject   Re: st: Cox proportional hazard model
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:24:39 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 12/8/10, Nyasha Tirivayi wrote:
> I would like to model  intrahousehold transitions from
> unemployment to employment. In the household are:
> 1. A patient receiving AIDS medication
> 2. And non-patient household members living together with
> the patient.
>
> I am thinking of applying the cox proportional hazard
> model, where duration of AIDS medication is the time
> variable. How can  I analyse the transitions by other
> non-patient family members, when they do not receive
> AIDS medication? Do I assign the time variable to
> the patient and his/her non-patient family members?

You need to define what it is that you are interested in:
is it 1) how long do people take their medicine, or 2) how
long till people find a job?

If 1) then it only makes sense to look at the patients, they
are the ones that need to take the medicine not the family
members. Characteristics of the family members can enter into
your model as explanatory variables.

if 2) you want to start time with the moment they become
available for the labor market (i.e. leave school or loose
their job). The time that a family member takes the medicine
can enter into your model as an explanatory variable, or
alternatively a time varying explanatory variable indicating
whether or not someone in the family receives medication.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie