st: RE: Nominal or ordinal?

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Nominal or ordinal?
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:04:54 +0200

Have you had a look at the intros to -ologit- and -oprobit- in the [R]
manual, pp. 1268 and 1291 yet? They do not mention equally spaced levels as
a condition for their use...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Polis, Chelsea B.
Sent: Donnerstag, 12. August 2010 21:00
Subject: st: Nominal or ordinal?

Dear Statalisters,

I am working with a dependent variable that has the following four potential
(3) Quite Likely, (4) Extremely Likely.

A colleague thinks this is an ordinal variable which should be analyzed
using ordered logit regression.  My sense was that
this is a nominal variable, and should be analyzed using multinomial
regression - since we cannot know if the levels are
equally spaced in people's minds.

My apologies for what is probably a very simplistic question, but I've
searched Statalist and online, and I still am not
entirely certain.  I would greatly appreciate input on this question.