st: RE: AW: AW: creating a count variable

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: AW: AW: creating a count variable
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 17:24:49 +0100

If you like, but

bysort home : gen howmany = _N

seems to be an answer to the question.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

Or rather, to create a variable, as your subject line indicates, use
-egen,
count- with the -by- prefix.

Martin Weiss

Combine -count- with the -by- prefix.

Jane Suiter

This is very simple but I keep getting it wrong. I have data with
large number of observations (hospitals) and I need to generate a count
variable
of how observations are in each geographic area. The variables are idno
for
the facility, home for the location of the facility.