st: combination foreach forvalues

From   John Bunge <>
Subject   st: combination foreach forvalues
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:07:57 +0200

Dear all

I have a string variable x1 with a list of values. I want to create a numerical variable x2 in which the numbers correspond to the string values in x1 in an ordered fashion (as a counter).

To illustrate, lets assume x1 contains all letters of the alphabet, and I want x2 to contain a counter that corresponds to the position of the letter in the alphabet, i.e. x1=a > x2=1, x1=b > x2=2, x1=c > x2=3, etc...

This seems to me like a combination of foreach and forvalues, but I cannot find information on whether and how such thing is implementable in Stata.

Hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks for your help