st: AW: combination foreach forvalues

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: combination foreach forvalues
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:12:30 +0200

The answer depends on whether the strings are unique (easy!) or not. Let`s
assume the latter:

inp str20 mystring
"good bye"
"good morning"

replace mystring=trim(mystring)

sort mystring
egen tag=tag(mystring)
gen x2=sum(tag)

list, noobs

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von John Bunge
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2009 12:08
Betreff: st: combination foreach forvalues

Dear all

I have a string variable x1 with a list of values. I want to create a
numerical variable x2 in which the numbers correspond to the string values
in x1 in an ordered fashion (as a counter).

To illustrate, lets assume x1 contains all letters of the alphabet, and I
want x2 to contain a counter that corresponds to the position of the letter
in the alphabet, i.e. x1=a > x2=1, x1=b > x2=2, x1=c > x2=3, etc...

This seems to me like a combination of foreach and forvalues, but I cannot
find information on whether and how such thing is implementable in Stata.

Hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks for your help