Re: AW: st: AW: beta coefficients for interaction terms

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: AW: beta coefficients for interaction terms
Date   Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:38:17 +0200

Hi,
I have another question regarding beta coefficients:
After coding:
. sysuse auto, clear
. egen shead = std(headroom)
. egen slength = std(length)
. egen smpg = std(mpg)
. gen ia2 = shead*slength
. egen sia2 = std(ia2)
. reg smpg shead slength sia2
Do I have to do .regress, beta?
Without having iteraction terms, as far as I know you have to coed .regress, beta to get the standardised beta coefficients, so you can tell which variable has the biggest effect.

Thank you Lisa

Zitat von Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>:

I think Lisa refer the section on standardized regression cofficients of
that book, particularly to the second item on pg. 201 (English edition).
That item states that one should not use b*s_x/s_y to create
standardized regression coefficients in the presence of interaction
terms. Based on Aiken/West 1991 (28-48) it is recommended that one
should standardize all variables that are part of the interaction in
advance. Hence, instead of coding

. sysuse auto, clear
. gen ia = head*length
. reg mpg head length ia, beta

you should code

. sysuse auto, clear
. egen shead = std(headroom)
. egen slength = std(length)
. egen smpg = std(mpg)
. gen ia2 = shead*slength
. egen sia2 = std(ia2)
. reg smpg shead slength sia2

The estimated coefficients of the constituent effects then show how much
standard deviations the dependend variable change when the independent
variable changes by one standard deviation and the other variable of the
interaction term is at its mean.

Standardized regression coefficients are often used to find out which of
the independent variables have the "largest" effect. I must admit that I
often fail to understand why students want to know that. But leaving
that aside, if an effect is not constant over the range of another
variable (i.e. in the presence of an interaction term) the question of
which independent variable have the largest effect seems pointless.

Many regards
Uli