RE: st: Multi-way contingency tables in Stata

From   Maarten buis <>
To   stata list <>
Subject   RE: st: Multi-way contingency tables in Stata
Date   Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:21:10 +0000 (GMT)

--- Kristian Karlson wrote
> I want to create a large, multiway contingency table in Stata. I
> need to reduce the table for a latent class analysis in another
> program. However, with the table and tabulate commands in Stata
> I only have the opportunity to cross two variables. With the
> userwritten command tab3way, I can cross three variables.
> However, I need to cross around eight polytomous variables and
> get the output into a data file / text file.

One possible solution would be to use -contract- to create a
dataset with this cross classification and their counts, and
export it in your favorite format afterwards:

*------------- begin example -----------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
gen marstat = married + 2*never_married
label define marstat 0 "widowed/divorced" ///
                     1 "married"          ///
                     2 "never married"
label value marstat marstat
tab marstat
contract race marstat union, zero nomiss

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen