st: per standard deviation change

From   Mohammed El Faramawi <>
Subject   st: per standard deviation change
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 04:35:30 -0700 (PDT)

I want to ask about modeling a continuous variable as per standard deviation change. For example if I have a continuous variable such as arterial blood pressure(BP) measured in mmhg and I want to express the relationship between per standard deviation change of blood pressure  and the physical activity (coded yes, no). How can I do that? Should I calculate the mean of BP abd then subtract it from the individual observation then divide the product by standard deviation.
 Or should I subtract the standard deviation from the individual observation?
Also, Should I take the absolute variable when the new variable is created or should I keep the signs when the regression is conducted?
Thank you.