st: RE: per standard deviation change

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: per standard deviation change
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:49:07 +0200

Sounds like a case for -regress- with the -beta- option.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Mohammed El
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:36 PM
Subject: st: per standard deviation change

I want to ask about modeling a continuous variable as per standard deviation
change. For example if I have a continuous variable such as arterial blood
pressure(BP) measured in mmhg and I want to express the relationship between
per standard deviation change of blood pressure  and the physical activity
(coded yes, no). How can I do that? Should I calculate the mean of BP abd
then subtract it from the individual observation then divide the product by
standard deviation.
 Or should I subtract the standard deviation from the individual
Also, Should I take the absolute variable when the new variable is created
or should I keep the signs when the regression is conducted?
Thank you.