Re: st: find the corresponding values between two variables

From   Sara Neto Machado <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: find the corresponding values between two variables
Date   Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:04:26 +0100

Joe,

Yes, I run your code exactly like you suggested me. I had no -id-
variable before the gen id=_n generated by your method. I think I
understand why there is an error with reshaping and is due to my
initial inquiry which is the reason why I am having so much trouble to
solve this issue.
In order to better explain my theory about the problem let me send
again the example that I provide in the beginning with more detail
information that may help  us with the reasoning issue.

thus, for the sake of illustration, let's consider the following:
c_est----w_est---c_trab----w_trab
10----------10-----------10-------11
11-----------3------------11-------3
13-----------4-------------17-------5
17------------5-------------18-------7
18---------10----------------23-----3
23-----------5----------------25-----6
25----------9-----------------37-----3
35---------5------------------"."-----"."
37----------6----------------"."------"."
40----------4-----------------"."-----"."

c_"something" represents a code of a company and w_"something"
represents the number of workers for that exactly company in a given
year. Thus, the values of c_Est and c_trab  when doing the comparison
should be equal and the value of w_est and w_trab should be equal as
well but that is not happening in reality..
So I need to understand where those differences appear as I notice
they come from the worker's side as well as from the companies side
since there are some companies missing in c_Trab. Stata is defining
missing value for those cases at the end of the database because the
data is mismatch along the database.

By taking into account this example, we have 3 missing values that are
due to c_est == 13 & c_est == 35 & c_est == 40 observations that do
not have a match in c_trab like their were supposed too.
If we apply your reshape syntax code in our example it will give a
result of 3 missing values for -id-. The problem is always the
mismatch situation with companies that I do not know how to
indentify....

In my real database I have 28 cases of mismatch and thus 28 missing
values for -id-. However, and since missing values always appear in
the end I do not know to which companies they belong.

If you have any more suggestions for this problem I will be much
appreciated. Thank you for your valuable input.

regards,
Sara