Re: st: stcompet cumulative incidence graphs with wrong time units

From   ROXANNE BEAUCLAIR <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stcompet cumulative incidence graphs with wrong time units
Date   Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:08:50 +0200

Hi Austin,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, when I use the publicly
available data, I do not have the same problems that I have with my
own. But perhaps I can give you a better description for my data.

I'm trying to look at the probability of a monogamous relationship
becoming concurrent with another relationship (the person acquires
another simultaneous sexual relationship). I have data on
relationships that occurred in the previous year, but not before that.
 So a monogamous relationship can: 1)Stay monogamous for the entire
year, or period of observation (censored) or 2) break up during the
year of observation (competing event) or 3) Become concurrent (event
of interest). I have the date the event occurred (spellend) and the
variable that indicates the events (breakconcur). Because we do not
have information on the concurrency status of relationships before the
period of observation, there is left truncated data for the
relationships that began before our period of observation. I'm trying
to get graphs of the cumulative incidence of the event of interest and
the competing event in one plot. Furthermore, I want these plots for
different demographics (e.g. 1 plot for black women, 1 plot for black
men, etc). Here is my code:

stset spellend, failure(breakconcur==1) enter(time relbegin)
keep if race==1 & gender==1  /*I want to do a graph of only black women */
stcompet ciBF=ci, compet1(2)
twoway (line ciCM _t if breakconcur==1, sort lcolor(black)
lpattern(solid))(line ciCM _t if breakconcur==2, sort  lcolor(black)
lpattern(dash))

When I do this, I seem to get a nice looking graph. However, the
x-axis has dates rather than the time to event, which is what I want.
Currently the '_t' variable Stata produces is in a date format. Is
there any easy way to re-format this as time-to-event? If i plot my
lines with my own generated time-to-event variable [gen tte=(_t -
_t0)], then the x-axis looks fine but my lines zig-zag up and down and
I do not get a nice curve that increases.

Any further words of advice?

Thanks for your help.

Tel: +27 21 808 9236 (work)
Cell: +27 82 212 1621 (cell)