Re: st: RE: Au revoir Statalist. Hello Statalist.

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   Statalist Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Au revoir Statalist. Hello Statalist.
Date   Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:19:42 -0500

On Mar 31, 2014, at 2:26 PM, Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver <[email protected]> wrote:
> Unlike Joe I will miss the email notification of every new topic because I would just open my email client and have the topics there.

No need to miss the "push notifications" provided by the old Statalist.  The new forum provides RSS feeds for each of its 4 subforums.  Just click on the corresponding orange RSS icon on the main forums page (http://www.statalist.org/forums/).

If you're not familiar with RSS, here is some background:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

There are literally hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of ways to monitor RSS feeds, from dedicated apps (for both desktop and mobile) to web services (e.g., Feedly) and even ways to hook RSS feeds in to your web browser or email client.  Suffice it to say, there is (almost certainly) a way to make use of RSS that will fit your workflow/lifestyle, whatever it may be.

Personally, I use a combination of Feedly (http://feedly.com/) and RSS Notifier (for OS X).  For those who used and/or remember Google Reader (which was discontinued by Google last year), Feedly is the heir apparent -- in brief, a web-based RSS aggregator.  Although they have a "pro" service which requires a subscription fee, their free service is very capable (that's what I use), and their mobile apps (also free) are excellent.  I have all of the RSS feeds I monitor in Feedly (e.g., newspapers, scientific journals, online services such as GitHub, BitBucket, Trello, etc., a few blogs, and now the new Statalist Forum), which are all accessible through the web via my personalized Feedly page.  I then use RSS Notifier to hook into Feedly and provide desktop notifications for a few important feeds which I want to stay on top of throughout the day (now including Statalist, of course!).

That's my setup, but there are, as I said, literally hundreds of ways you could do this, so go discover what works for you.  And then, go looking for RSS feeds to follow!

-- Phil

P.S. By default, the Statalist Forum RSS feeds (i.e., the links behind the RSS icons) will update with each new topic posted on the forum, but *not* each new reply.  If you want the latter (which would be closer to the email stream from the old Statalist), just add "&lastpost=1" to the end of the URL (without the double-quotes).

P.P.S You can follow the Stata Blog via RSS too.  Just point your browser to http://blog.stata.com, and click on the RSS icon at the top of the page.