RE: st: can GLLAMM handle missing data?

From   "Pesola, Francesca" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: can GLLAMM handle missing data?
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:15:22 +0000

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

Do you think as good practice I should:

1. Run the analysis with the missing data  and rely on the GLLAMM flexibility;  and

2. Impute the data using MI as sensitivity analysis

Thanks,
Francesca

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Hoaglin
Sent: 26 March 2014 13:04
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: can GLLAMM handle missing data?

Hi, Francesca.

-gllamm- and other commands for longitudinal data do use all the available data, not just the "complete cases."  Linear mixed-effects models and generalized linear mixed-effects models have the advantage of being flexible and accepting data in which some individuals do not have data at all time points.

Whenever data are missing, however, the analyst must investigate the reasons --- the process(es) that caused the missingness.  Often, using complete cases or the available data will produce biased results.
Missing data and approaches for handling them have an extensive literature.  One approach, multiple imputation, is nicely implemented in -mi- in Stata.

A number of books discuss analyses of longitudinal data and issues surrounding missing data in that setting.  The book by Fitzmaurice, Laird, and Ware (2011) is accessible and fairly comprehensive.

David Hoaglin

Fitzmaurice GM, Laird NM, Ware JH (2011).  Applied Longitudinal Analysis, 2nd ed.  Wiley.