Re: st: Statistical Significance of the difference between two estimates from two separate regressions

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Statistical Significance of the difference between two estimates from two separate regressions
Date   Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:22:40 -0400

Hi, Andri.

I agree with the suggestion of using a single regression.  In many
situations, using a pooled estimate of the residual variance will give
you greater power in testing whether the return to schooling differs
between males and females.  And, as Billy Buchanan pointed out, that
approach will allow you to do more.

Doing the first test that John Antonakis suggested does not depend on
whether the education variable is continuous.

Since the education variable is continuous (not the usual choice, I
think), you should investigate whether the effect of education is
linear.  It may not be.  If education is measured in years, you can
examine its effect by converting the "continuous" variable into a set
of categories, perhaps as detailed as single years if you have a large
enough sample size, and then plot the coefficients for those
categories against the corresponding number of years (or the midpoint
of the category, if you use multi-year categories).  If the pattern in
that plot is not linear, it may suggest a suitable functional form,
such as a linear spline.

David Hoaglin