RE: st: RE: Stata treatment of sort order

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Stata treatment of sort order
Date   Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:47:45 -0800

Andrew,
Your example below still isn't actually an unsorted list.  Your original
data is reverse-sorted on the variable in question.  Given what little I
know about sorting algorithms (and it is very little and not very
formalized), I still wouldn't expect a well-optimized algorithm to
necessarily change the order of data is already effectively sorted.  It
would take more processor time to rearrange that data than to simply leave
it where it is.  However, note that if you stick the x=0 observation in the
middle (that is, start with a list that is not already sorted) you do get
different results each time.

These examples where Stata is sorting already sorted data seem to be a
special case.  Granted, they're a special case that doesn't strictly
speaking match the behavior the documentation suggests.  However, I'm not
sure that outlining the exact circumstances when Stata changes the sort
order and when it doesn't would actually make the documentation clearer.  It
strikes me as the sort of detail that might satisfy the pedantic while
confusing the vast majority.

-Sarah