st: frequency distribution for only the family unit

From   Patrick Abi Nader <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: frequency distribution for only the family unit
Date   Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:23:15 -0800

Hello Stata users,

This is the challenge I am facing with my data:
I am using Stata 12 and my data is in wide format. I have 233
observation (rows) for 233 children. Some of these children are
siblings. I have variables that are for the family unit (i.e. both
children in the same family have the same score) for example how many
adults are in your family? or What is the race of the parent? I cannot
count this information twice.
When I am doing frequency distributions I want to count children from
the same family as one unit instead of twice or 3 or 4 times. the user
written command "fre" doesn't accept "if" or "in", and even if it was
allowable I cannot conceive how to do this.
I have a family_id (which uniquely identifies 175 families example of
family id "001FCR") as a variable and I have a separate variable
children_id.

Do you folks have any suggestions?
Thank you for your time,

Patrick

--
Patrick Abi Nader, MS
PhD Student

"So even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for
your growth so is he for your pruning."

"Love one another but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a
moving sea between the shores of your souls."

"Fill each others cup but drink not from one cup."

"Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf."

Khalil Gibran

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. " Charles darwin