Re: st: Creating new variables in mata.

From   Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating new variables in mata.
Date   Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:52:16 +0100

Many thanks, Nick, Phil and Anthony,

I was just trying to understand parsing and compiling in mata vs stata.

In the same spirit, creating incremented names in mata will be:

for (i=1; i<=3; i++) {
   a = strofreal(i)
   b = "M" + a
}
which will give M1 M2 M3.

However, I can't find a way to increment the creation of matrices M1,
M2, M3 (where M1=1, M2=2, etc.):

m:

/*
for (i=1; i<=3; i++) {
   a = strofreal(i)
   b = "M" + a
   (void) "M" + a = i
}
*/
for (i=1; i<=3; i++) {
   a = "local b " + strofreal(i)
   //stata(`"a"')
   st_local(b, a)
   "`b'"
   stata("di `b'")
   "M`b'"
   M`b' = i
   M`b'
}
end

I don't understand especially why st_local is returning an empty macro.

Thanks.

Amadou B. DIALLO, PhD.
Senior Economist, AfDB.
[email protected]