Re: st: converting multiple choice (string) response options to numeric values

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: converting multiple choice (string) response options to numeric values
Date   Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:22:40 +0000

Applying -encode- to several variables is a little dangerous. If the
values "A" to "D" occur for every variable and "E" occurs only for
those variables for which it is possible, and for all of them, you
should be fine. But suppose the only answers that occur for one
variable are "A", "C", "D". Then those will be, by default, mapped to
1,2,3. -encode- has by default no intelligence that spots that "B" is
missing and decides that the appropriate coding is 1, 3, 4. You would
need to define value labels in advance and specify those as the labels
to be used.

Note also -multencode- (SSC).