Re: st: converting multiple choice (string) response options to numeric values

From   Ronnie Babigumira <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: converting multiple choice (string) response options to numeric values
Date   Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:04:15 +0100

encode worked just fine. What you see as the "exact same variable" is
just the label

*****
clear *
input id str1 qn1 str1 strqn3
1 A D
2 A A
3 E B
4 B C
end

encode qn1, g(nqn1)
list
list, nolabel
*****

Ps: note the label option of encode which allows you to provide your own label