st: Re: How do I create a calendar year variable by person id before reshaping to person-year dataset?

From   Holly E Reed <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: How do I create a calendar year variable by person id before reshaping to person-year dataset?
Date   Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:27:18 +0000

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your reply.  That is, in fact, exactly what my data look like; of course, some people do not have births, so they have missing values for birth1, birth2, etc. or if they only have one child, they have missing values for all birth variables except birth1.

The dataset is so large and there are a number of variables in addition to the ones listed, such as weights, region at age 12, urban/rural at age 12, relationship to HH head, ever migrated...that's why I didn't post a sample of the actual dataset.

Thanks,
Holly
From	  Ronnie Babigumira <[email protected]>
To	  [email protected]
Subject	  Re: st: RE: How do I create a calendar year variable by person id before reshaping to person-year dataset?
Date	  Thu, 6 Feb 2014 09:40:12 +0100
 Showing an example of the actual data you are trying to reshape will
help because, following your previous posting, the solution Maarten
shared, and this new information about birth1---10, this is what you
would be trying to reshape.

    id   age   sex   birthyear   year   birth1   birth2
     1     5     F        1995   1995     2010     2012
     1     5     F        1995   1996     2010     2012
     1     5     F        1995   1997     2010     2012
     1     5     F        1995   1998     2010     2012
     1     5     F        1995   1999     2010     2012
     2     3     M        1997   1997     2012     2013
     2     3     M        1997   1998     2012     2013
     2     3     M        1997   1999     2012     2013
     3    10     F        1998   1998     2009     2011

I doubt that your data look like this

Ronnie